The Original UpSet
This page is the “project page” for the original UpSet version and it’s immediate derivative, UpSet2.
UpSet is focused on creating task-driven aggregates, communicating the size and properties of aggregates and intersections, and a duality between the visualization of the elements in a dataset and their set membership.
UpSet has three guiding principles:
- Use perceptually efficient visual encodings, i.e., make it easy to read the data accurately.
- Make it possible to not just visualize intersections, but to visualize combinations of intersections (e.g., all the intersections involving two particular sets).
- Visualize attributes about the intersections. It is not just the magnitude of an intersection that is interesting, but we also want to know whether the data associated with intersection is different or similar.
To get an idea of what the interactive UpSet is about, you can watch this 30-second video:
UpSet Preview Video
For more details, here’s a 5 minute video:
UpSet Demonstration Video
The new version of the tool is live here.
The features in new version are:
- Data Upload
- Provenance Integration
- Embedding as iFrames (see above)
- Downloading of selections
- Use UpSet as library
The embed code for the above widget is:
Do you provide documentation for UpSet?
Yes, through the GitHub Wiki. Right now it only covers data import, but more will follow soon. Don’t forget to watch the videos! They give you a good idea on how things are done.
Which Browsers are supported?
We currently test only on the latest version of Google Chrome. Other recent browsers might work too.